Some of the most interesting and weird facts about Google Maps are:
- The compound where Osama Bin Laden was shot, can be found on Google maps.
- 23 is the maximum zoom level, only available for small number of areas. While 20 is maximum for most areas.
- The time saved per day of using Google maps navigation routing is functionally 2 years.
- It’s 12 billion miles per year that Google maps navigation has guided Android phone users.
- Google is taking the advantage of reCAPTCHA system, by getting people to decode pictures of street addresses for Google maps.
- The largest natural bridge on the earth was virtually unknown, until it was discovered on Google maps.
- Google uses our phones to collect data for google traffic.
- A 1000 years old ‘fish trap’ made of stones was found off the British coast with Google maps.
- Google maps show detailed view of North Korea, but doesn’t work with South Korea. (Edited)
- If you search for homes on Google maps, it shows all the homes in area for sale and their prices. (specific)
- The Street View team has taken tens of million of images since 2007, and they’ve driven more than 5 million miles of road.
- Street View camera system have 15 lenses and can produce images at about 65 Megapixels resolution.
- Google maps almost caused a war between Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
- Google Earth has built in flight simulator.
- Titanic (Shipwreck) can be seen from Google earth.
- If you want your house blurred on Street View, you can do it by requesting Google.
- You can see where the Google Street View cars are currently driving.
Image Source: Google
Note: Some information is specific to particular places, it might not apply to every country in the world. #government_interference