More than 16 years ago on the 21st of April, 2002, the late Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee had started commencement of the Bogibeel Bridge. Today the construction of the bridge is finally complete and its benefits can finally be reaped by the entire nation.
Let us share with you all 10 main things that one must know about Assam’s Bogibeel Bridge.
1. The bridge will be the longest rail cum road bridge in the country at a total length of 4.94km and will span across the Brahmaputra, connecting Eastern Assam with Arunachal Pradesh
2. The bridge will house a double line broad gauge track on the lower deck and three lanes of road on the upper deck
3. The Bogibeel bridge will be India’s only bridge to have fully welded steel-concrete composite girders
4. The bridge is part of a 74 km long railway linewhich is also being commissioned simultaneously
5. Direct rail connectivity between Dibrugarh and Itanagar will reduce travel distance by 705 kms, to only 180 kms
6. Travel time between Dibrugarh and Itanagar will reduce from 24 hours to only 5 hours
7. Trains travelling between Delhi to Dibrugarh will benefit from a 3 hour reduction in travel time
8. Distance from Dibrugarh to Rangiya will be reduced by 170 km. Now people going to cities like Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Bangalore will no longer have to travel via Guwahati
9. It will enhance the national security of the eastern region of India by improving the movement of defence forces and weapons systems
10. Total cost of the project is Rs. 5,920 Cr, the cost of the bridge is Rs. 3000 Cr
now let us share with you all a few pictures depicting the beauty and scale of the Bogibeel Bridge
Source : https://qr.ae/TUtBav
Subscribe : Inquilab Times
Also Read :